Monday, March 9, 2009

New Moon: Stephanie Meyer

I feel a bit off kilter, making my first entry about a piece of fluff like the Twilight series, but it's the last book I finished.

I avoided the Twiligh series for a long time, but once I finally picked it up, I admit that I was hooked. Is the writing fantastic? No. Is the story ground-breaking? Course not. But there is something about the characters that drew me in.

The second book in the series, New Moon, reveals the second plot line. The focus is on Bella and her friend Jake, who I find much more attractive than the love interest in the first book. The story is actually pretty weak. It takes Meyer about 600 pages to tell us what most readers already know about Jacob Black. The threats in New Moon are far more tame than in Twilight, and the relationships seem to have been formed in the first book and are therefore taken for granted this time around.

Nevertheless, I remain interested in this trite storyline and am anxious to find out what happens next. New Moon picked up right exactly where Twilight left off, so I'm hoping that Eclipse picks up where New Moon left off, but with a lot more excitement.

1 comment:

  1. I used to think that the Twilight series was beautifully written, because all of my friends said so, and so many fans. I enjoyed reading the books, and a while after finishing the series, I came to the relization that it wasn't the story that was so great, but the charecters. Once again, fantastic job on your review. I would be interested in hearing your take on Milkweed, or Tiger Rising. I just recently read them and thought they were pretty good.

    ReplyDelete